The lower part of the Norman tower belongs to the early church that had been built by the Buscel family and granted to Whitby Abbey in 1127. Above the porch door is a canopied niche with an effigy of St Matthew the Evangelist (his attribute being a winged beast with the face of a man), carved by Alan Durst in memory of Vi Armitage, a generous benefactor (d.1967).
The oldest part of the church internally is the 13th century set of pillars on the north side of the nave. The rest is 15th century and followed an order for repair of the chancel in 1458. In 1853 much of the church was again rebuilt by William Dawnay, the 7th Viscount Downe, to the design of William Butterfield. This included the north aisle, the sanctuary and the exceptionally high-pitched roof.
Tel: 01723 864670
Tel: 01723 863812
Clergy: The Revd Stuart Graeme HILL
A Church Near You ID: 19316
Archdeaconry: CLEVELAND (433)
Deanery: Northern Ryedale (43310)
Benefice: Upper Derwent (43/056CR)
Parish Legal Name: Brompton by Sawdon (430533 43/533)
CofE Church Info: (643533 43/533)
To view a list of the events for this Church please Click Here