Church of England Guidance:
In light of the continued increase of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in the United Kingdom, our guidance is to suspend the administration of the chalice as well as physical contact during the sharing of the Peace, blessing or “laying on of hands”. All churches should:
- Offer Communion in one kind only to all communicants i.e. the consecrated bread/wafer/host, with the priest alone taking the wine;
- Suspend handshaking or other direct physical contact during the sharing of the Peace;
- Suspend direct physical contact as part of a blessing or “laying on of hands”.
- Display the standard public information poster, which states:Catch it – sneeze into a tissue.
- Bin it – bin the tissue.
- Kill it – wash your hands.
- Do not touch your face unless you’ve washed your hands.
- Suspend catering (teas, coffees etc.) where multiple people touch mugs, utensils and foodstuffs.
- Ask those attending services to wash their hands as they come into church.
- Suspend the use of holy water stoups.
- Churches are encouraged to complete a Coronavirus Parish Continuity Plan to ensure, as far as possible, their continued mission and ministry.
- Ensure good regular cleaning of surfaces people touch regularly, including such things as door handles, light switches etc.
- No pastoral visits should be undertaken to people who are self-isolating until isolation ends. However do offer phone support.
To find out more please visit: https://www.churchofengland.org/more/media-centre/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-churches